Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Travel Document

Be able to return to Canada as a Permanent Resident without your Permanent Resident Card.

ermanent Resident Cards (“PR Cards”) expire! If you're outside of Canada and do not have a valid PR card, you need a Permanent Resident Travel Document (“PRTD”) to come back to Canada. You can apply for a PRTD from outside Canada only.

If you realize your permanent resident card will expire when you’re travelling or is already expired, you should make your best effort to review it before you leave. Keep in mind that this can only be done in Canada as PR cards cannot be sent to non-Canadian locations and third parties are not permitted to get them for you.


You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you:

  • are a permanent resident,
  • do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  •  are outside Canada, and
  • will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.

You will need to show that you are a Permanent Resident of Canada and by doing so you will need to provide proof of your status and proof of your residence in Canada. Follow the document checklist exactly as it  could delay your processing or your application could be returned for incompleteness.

Frequently Asked Questions

If your card expires when you’re outside Canada, you have your permanent resident (PR) status regardless. You will need a Permanent Resident Travel Document to re-enter Canada.

Why hire AP Lawyers to represent you in securing your travel documents?

Our experience and dedication will always increase your chances of success. We know what to look out for in the application process. We are thorough and we can advise you on ways to improve your chances of being selected. We have Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s authorization to represent you in the Canada Immigration processes and we are members in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario.