Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Temporary Resident Permit

Do you need to enter or stay in Canada but do not meet the objectives of the Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship Canada? You could be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit (“TRP”).

If an individual is inadmissible to Canada, on criminal, security or medical grounds, but requires entry to Canada, he/she may be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit Canada (TRP). The Temporary Resident Permit is however not the same with the Temporary Resident Visa (also called Visitor Visa).

A Temporary Resident Permit enables a person to defeat their inadmissibility for a specified reason and for a specific timeframe. The candidate is required to demonstrate there is a significant reason they should enter or remain Canada. A person who is inadmissible to Canada, is inadmissible for work, study, visiting and is precluded from presenting an application for Canadian permanent residence. Immigration Officers can issue Temporary Resident Permits in exceptional circumstances with compelling grounds using their discretion.

If the person is inadmissible to Canada for criminal or medical reasons, then there is a specific Temporary Resident Permit to apply for under the Immigration, Refugee, Protection Act.

For criminal inadmissibility, a Temporary Resident Permit is required until the time as criminal inadmissibility has been expelled, either through applying for the criminal rehabilitation process or considered rehabilitation. This is usually coupled with an Application for Criminal Rehabilitation.

Candidates can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit at a Canadian visa office or at a port of entry. The IRCC urges people to apply well ahead of time if they realize they must enter Canada and are inadmissible as they risk being refused at the border.

Immigration Officers review the applicant’s need to enter into Canada or remain in Canada verses the risk they pose to Canada.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are inadmissible to Canada because of a past conviction on your criminal record, you may apply for Criminal Rehabilitation if no less than five years have gone since the fulfillment of your sentence(s). Sentencing includes payment of all fines, jail time, probation, and required community service hours. If under five years have gone since the completion of your sentence, you are ineligible, anyway you may qualify for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).

A TRP allows an individual to overcome their inadmissibility for a specified reason and for a specific period of time to enter Canada. A TRV allows an individual who is not admissible to enter Canada, if they require a Visa, to study, work or visit depending on what they are lawfully admitted into Canada to do.

Why hire AP Lawyers to represent you in obtaining your temporary resident permit?

Being refused admission to Canada is stressful, especially when you are inadmissible for something beyond your control such as medical issues or past criminality. We assist many clients who are inadmissible come to Canada by using Temporary Resident Permits. This permit has many great benefits to individuals, and it is commonly underused by those inadmissible to Canada. Let our experience and knowledge help turn your inadmissibility into a possibility. You would work one-on-one with an immigration professional and our team to help make your dream a reality.