Global Talent Stream
You can get work permit within 2 weeks of applying if you are highly talented and meet the eligibility requirements.
The Global Talent Stream lets workers with certain skills be given a work permit within just two weeks of applying. This program is to help Canadian businesses access the international talent they need to grow and conduct their company.
There are two categories of the Global Talent Stream; Category A and Category B
You may be eligible for Category A if you have been referred to the Stream by one of the Stream’s designated partners and you are hiring unique and specialized talent. This category is for companies that are experiencing a high growth in their business and can demonstrate that they are in need of the worker for their talented skills.
The designated partners are;
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
- BC Tech Association
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Canadian Economic Development for Quebec Regions
- City of Hamilton’s Economic Development Office
- Communitech Corporation
- Council of Canadian Innovators
- Economic Development Winnipeg
- Edmonton Economic Development
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
- Genesis (Newfoundland)
- Global Affairs Canada’s Trade Commissioner Service
- Government of Alberta, Alberta Labour
- Government of British Columbia, Ministry of Jobs, Trade and Technology
- Government of Manitoba, Manitoba Education and Training
- Government of Nova Scotia, Nova Scotia Business Inc.
- Government of Ontario, Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation, and Trade – Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
- Government of Ontario, Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation, and Trade – Ontario Investment Office
- Government of Prince Edward Island, Island Investment Development Inc.
- Government of Saskatchewan, Ministry of Immigration and Career Training – Employer Services Branch
- Halifax Partnership
- ICT Association of Manitoba (ICTAM)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada – Accelerated Growth Service
- Invest Ottawa
- Invest in Canada
- London Economic Development Corporation
- MaRS Discovery District
- National Research Council – Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP)
- Privy Council Office, Special Projects Team
- Vancouver Economic Commission
- Venn Innovation
- Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation
- WindsorEssex Economic Development Corporation
For the list of designated referral partners located in Quebec for the Global Talent Stream, employers from Quebec are invited to consult Quebec’s Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion website (French only).
Employers may be eligible for this category if they are looking to hire highly skilled foreign workers to fill positions in occupations listed on the Global Talent Occupations List. This is different from Category A as the Employer does not need a referral from a designated partner.
The jobs available on the list are to fill the in-demand positions in Canada where there is a labour shortage of candidates.
Global Talent Occupations List
Minimum hourly rate
Minimum annual salary
Architecture and Science managers
Computer and information systems managers
Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
Sub-set of 2161*
Mathematicians and statisticians
* Positions for actuaries or related occupations are excluded from this subset.
Information systems analysts and consultants
Database analysts and data administrators
Software engineers and designers
Computer programmers and interactive media developers
Web designers and developers
Information systems testing technicians
$37.50 or higher prevailing wage
$78,000 or higher prevailing wage
Sub-set of 5131**
Producer, technical, creative and artistic director and project manager – Visual effects and video game
** The position requires a minimum of three years’ industry experience in the visual effects, video game or animation industries in one or a combination of the following roles: producer, technical director, creative director, artistic director or project manager, senior coordinator, department manager, with three years of job experience in at least one or more of the following skills relevant to the visual effects, video game or animation industries: surfacing and look development; character or simulation rigging; matte painting; managing budgets or teams; or technical pipeline development and application for visual effects, video games, or animation production.
$36.06 or higher prevailing wage
$75,000 or higher prevailing wage
Sub-set of 5241***
Digital Media and Design
***The position requires a minimum of three years’ industry experience in at least one of the following digital media design skills: 3D modeling, compositing, paint and roto, layout and match move, digital environment and Matte painting, texture, lighting shading, character effects, effects and simulations, design and scenario, rigging, user interface or user experience, responsive design (for gaming), virtual reality, augmented reality, digital media animation, levels editing for digital media design, software editing for digital media design, pipeline software development or applications relevant for digital media design
$38.46 or higher prevailing wage
$80,000 or higher prevailing wage
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the employer would be required to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment through the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to develop a Labour Market Benefits Plan. The pan will highlight the talent of the worker ad the benefit to Canada as well as actions the employer will take to create jobs, skills and training in candidates.
You must pay $1,000 for each position requested under the Global Talent Stream to cover the cost of processing your application.
Why hire AP Lawyers to represent you in obtaining your work permit as highly talented person?
We know there are hidden talents all over the world that can have a significant benefit on Canada. Our experience and dedication will always increase your chances of success. We know what to look out for in the application process. We are thorough and we can advise you on ways to improve your chances of being selected. We have Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s authorization to represent you in the Canada Immigration processes and we are members in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario.