Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Canada Caregiver Program

Hire a caregiver, stay in Canada as a caregiver or get hired as a caregiver and migrate to Canada.

Families, in Canada, are able to hire a foreign caregiver to provide private care, for their children, elder persons or persons with certified medical needs.

Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), the caregivers must:

  • provide a full-time care (minimum 30 hours per week);
  • work in the private residence where the care is being provided; and
  • meet the requirements of the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)/Service and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The families or private residence employers are allowed to hire foreign caregivers under two categories of the in-home caregiver program. They include:

1. Caregivers for children

  • Children under 18 years of age

This category may include positions such as:

  • A Child care provider, live-in caregiver, a nanny (NOC 4411)

2. Caregivers for people with high medical needs

  • elderly persons, 65 years of age or more; and/or
  • people with disabilities, a chronic or terminal disease.

This category may include positions such as:

  • A registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse (NOC 3012)
  • Licensed practical nurse (NOC 3233)
  • Attendant for persons with disabilities, a home support worker, live-in caregiver, a personal care attendant (NOC 4412)

Employers must meet the program requirements, including paying the normal wage for the caregiver in the location where the work will be done, and conducting the required recruitment and advertisement requirements for the stream. There are specific high-wage and low-wage positions which are assessed against the applicant’s experience, type of work and area of work.

The new caregiver programs

As recently announced by Ahmed Hussen, the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), two new Canadian immigration programs for foreign caregivers who want to work in Canada have been created. They are:

  • Home Child Care Provider Pilot; and
  • Home Support Worker Pilot.

The new programs are expected to replace the older caregiver programs that are set to expire in November of 2019.

Frequently Asked Questions

To apply for caregiver program, you must apply for a regular work permit. There is no specific work permit for caregiver application.

Yes, you can! You do not need to switch pathways and you may continue working as a live-in caregiver. When you meet the work requirement, you may apply for the permanent resident program you are eligible for.

Why hire AP Lawyers to represent you in the Family Class Sponsorship Program?

Our experience and dedication will always increase your chances of success. We make your immigration matter, ours. We have the Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada’s (“IRCC”) authorization to effectively represent you and we are members in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario. We strive to customize your immigration matter with our office and ensure we prepare and send out your immigration application as strong as it can be!